Tråd vurdering:
  • 0 stemme(r) - 0 gennemsnitligt
Pas på med sortkrudt
Dark spots on the brass of old shells, including old shotgun shells (the ones we were seeing it on were old paper shells) and military ammo more often than commercial ammo, sometimes indicate that the powder is converting to nitro, as in nitroglycerin. I asked Dad where he learned this and he didn't remember, but he supposed he read it someplace.

Exposed to temperature variations and such, the powder begins to liquefy and will start to corrode brass cases. The dark spots - though not all dark spots found on brass - indicate this is happening. In that case, of course, the propellant loses some of the stability that's inherent when it's in its solid form.

How instable is it? We don't know. Obviously it's an area in which it's unwise to gamble, and ammo showing these characteristics should be discarded in a safe manner. Shooting it may be dangerous, and as I'm not a gambler, I wouldn't shoot any of it myself.

Just something to keep in mind, and something to look out for. Probably there are sources that have more information than we have, but that's what we know about it. Digest it and proceed as you feel is wise.
Russ Chastain

Mvh
Kim

Jeg er ikke fejlfri,men det er så tæt på at det skræmmer mig.
Svar

Forum spring:

Brugere der kigge i denne tråd: 1 gæst(er)