Tråd vurdering:
  • 0 stemme(r) - 0 gennemsnitligt
Question from New Zealand about Schultz & Larsen
Hi everyone, this is my first post, so hope it's in the right place....
My name is Gregg, I am from New Zealand, way down at the other end of the world. My apologies for my inability to speak anything other than English, but I know you Scandanavians probaly speak better English than me...
I have just bought secondhand an S&L in 7mm RM, info on these rifles is pretty scarce in English. I am hoping that some of your members will be bale to help me with some questions regarding barrel availability. I have also emailed S&L factory, but I find forums are often an excellent source of information in such cases...
I want to know whether S&L offer barrels in .375 Ruger or .375 Dakota (or both?), I have seen different info published about this and can't find out which is true. I want to go to Namibia next year to hunt plains game, so need to decide what calibre to take apart from 7mm RM. Also, is there any extra bedding work required for the larger calibres? I know quite a few of you guys will use the 9.3x62 calibre, which is also an option for me...
Thanks for your help, and sorry about the very long first post. And if anyone wants to come to NZ for some hunting, let me know, glad to offer advice/accomodation/hunting partners...
Svar
Hi.
Here is some links to Schultz & Larsen

http://www.schultzlarsen.com/default.htm

http://www.schultzlarsen.com/M97%20User%20manual.pdf

http://www.schultzlarsen.com/barrels.htm

Seems like the 375Dakota is an option.

Med venlig hilsen
Bushman
Der er noget underligt ved livet: Hvis man accepterer mindre end det bedste, får man det tit.
Med venlig hilsen
Bushman

Der er noget underligt ved livet: Hvis man accepterer mindre end det bedste, får man det tit.
http://www.bushman.dk/images/forum/BushmanAvatar.gif
Svar
Hi. Wow some kind of invitation. How nice of you.
Its probaly the rifle with the largest choise of calibers in the world you just bought. Is it obvious that I have one my self?
Welcome here.
Svar
With a little insider knowlegde, I can tell you that .375 Ruger will become an option and .375 Dakota is no option and will never be.

Be prepared to long delievery time. Call the local S&L dealer and ask him when he expect the next delievery.

C.R. Pain
118e Bush Road
Albany
Auckland, New Zealand
Tel: +64 9 415 8704
Fax: +64 9 415 8705
They are nice people, (like most Kiwi's)so give them a call.

BTW - do you live on the north or the south island?

--
mvh M@X 2.0
Boltlift - or bust...
[Image: wardwarf-1.jpg]
Time weighed heavily on the craftsmans shoulders whispering
Compromise!

No true craftsman ever listened!
Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.....

Mvh  M@X 2.1
Svar
7mm RM will do for all plains game with stout bullets. Eland is stretching it a bit, but it`ll work if bullet is well placed. I would take the 7 mm with me and nothing else..
If you want a 375 Ruger why not buy a Ruger Hawkeye (African or Alaskan). I have the Alaskan, and it is a nice little rifle, shoots 270 grs bullets at 2820-2900 f/s from a 20" barrel. (factory ammo is 2830 f/s). Mine shoots very well, but if it doesnt then just have a new barrel - price of the Ruger rifle wont ruin you, so there is room left for a new barrel if needed.. And then you get controlled feed, claw ekstractor etc etc
Well that is just my 2 cents...

Citat:quote:

Originally posted by gwych

My name is Gregg, I am from New Zealand, way down at the other end of the world. My apologies for my inability to speak anything other than English, but I know you Scandanavians probaly speak better English than me...
I have just bought secondhand an S&L in 7mm RM, info on these rifles is pretty scarce in English. I am hoping that some of your members will be bale to help me with some questions regarding barrel availability. I have also emailed S&L factory, but I find forums are often an excellent source of information in such cases...
I want to know whether S&L offer barrels in .375 Ruger or .375 Dakota (or both?), I have seen different info published about this and can't find out which is true. I want to go to Namibia next year to hunt plains game, so need to decide what calibre to take apart from 7mm RM. Also, is there any extra bedding work required for the larger calibres? I know quite a few of you guys will use the 9.3x62 calibre, which is also an option for me...
Thanks for your help, and sorry about the very long first post. And if anyone wants to come to NZ for some hunting, let me know, glad to offer advice/accomodation/hunting partners...

Svar
Hi guys, thanks for your fast replies.
Bushman, I have checked these sites, and the manual, but as you know S&L's website is somewhat primitive, and I don't think it gets updated too often. I have the manuals too and have seen various barrel lists with contradictory info. My guess is that the Dakota was a 'possible" option at one stage, whihc is is why it appears on one list as "coming soon". This was maybe before the .375 Ruger had been put into production. I think the .375 Ruger makes more sense as a production option than the .375 Dakota, so I am guessing S&L will have it.

Svar
you're welcome to get in touch if you ever want to come to NZ, bring your S&L and we'll go for a hunt. I have a couple of houses in Taranaki that I use for holidays and as vacation rentals as a sideline business, so plenty of room. Not such good hunting in that area, but NZ is a fairly small country and there is spectacular scenery and hunting within relatively short travel distance. Thar/chamois in the South Island is definitely on my "to do" list. Are you happy with your S&L? What calibres do you have? They are pretty rare in NZ, but every man and his dog has a Sako, and they are ridiculously expensive too, so I prefer something a little different.

Hi. Wow some kind of invitation. How nice of you.
Its probaly the rifle with the largest choise of calibers in the world you just bought. Is it obvious that I have one my self?
Welcome here.

[/quote]
Svar
thanks for the info, I thought somebody on this site would have a little insider knowledge. I expect it will be a long wait, I've already been in touch with CR Pain. I hope I can get my hands on a 22-250 barrel a bit quicker though. I live in the North Island, in Auckland, although I have a place in Taranaki and spend a bit of time there too. Unfortunately my business means that me and the wife and kids spend about 1/2 the year in China these days, so NZ's wide open spaces are just a distant memory right now. China is not the ideal place for those who prefer the outdoors....

Originally posted by M@X 2.0

With a little insider knowlegde, I can tell you that .375 Ruger will become an option and .375 Dakota is no option and will never be.

Be prepared to long delievery time. Call the local S&L dealer and ask him when he expect the next delievery.

C.R. Pain
118e Bush Road
Albany
Auckland, New Zealand
Tel: +64 9 415 8704
Fax: +64 9 415 8705
They are nice people, (like most Kiwi's)so give them a call.

BTW - do you live on the north or the south island?

--
mvh M@X 2.0
Boltlift - or bust...
[Image: wardwarf-1.jpg]
Time weighed heavily on the craftsmans shoulders whispering
Compromise!

No true craftsman ever listened!

Svar
yes I think you are right, the 7mm RM will handle most plains game. And the Alaskan seems like a nice rifle too, if I didn't have a switch barrel rifle already I'd look at buying one. It would be quicker than waiting for a barrel from S&L I think. It's a pretty light rifle isn't it, I think less than the S&L's 8 1/2 pounds? It must have a bit of a kick....I like the idea of having one rifle to do a few different jobs though, and it also means I can become very familiar with it without expending 1000's of rounds of hard recoiling and expensive .375 ammo. I can shoot rabbits with the S&L in 22-250, and be getting practice on the same platform as my big game rifle, which I think is very useful. I know I don't really "need" a .375 Ruger, but it's a bit of fun to load and shoot, and all part of the experience of planning my big trip to Africa. I don't intend to hunt dangerous game (except maybe buffalo, which is also an option closer to home in Australia) so I don't think the cntrolled feed vs push feed debate for dg will matter much to me. I'd put quite a few rounds through the .375 in the S&L and be certain it would feed reliably upside down hanging from a tree if need be, before I put myself in front of an annoyed buff with it....and if it didn't, I'd stick to plains game that won't fight back, or borrow a rifle from the PH...

Originally posted by Ulrik Hentzer

7mm RM will do for all plains game with stout bullets. Eland is stretching it a bit, but it`ll work if bullet is well placed. I would take the 7 mm with me and nothing else..
If you want a 375 Ruger why not buy a Ruger Hawkeye (African or Alaskan). I have the Alaskan, and it is a nice little rifle, shoots 270 grs bullets at 2820-2900 f/s from a 20" barrel. (factory ammo is 2830 f/s). Mine shoots very well, but if it doesnt then just have a new barrel - price of the Ruger rifle wont ruin you, so there is room left for a new barrel if needed.. And then you get controlled feed, claw ekstractor etc etc
Well that is just my 2 cents...

Svar
Just spoke to a contact in NZ about spare barrels for S&L m97....he said he's had some 22-250 barrels on order for 2 years! If anybody knows of a way to get S&L barrels quicker, I'd like to hear about it....
Svar
when i ordered that caliber 2 months ago directly from S/L I was told they did not expect to be able to deliver within half a year.

They had problems getting it precise I was told - and had to wait for proper tools ......
mvh
Svar
thanks for the info - that would explain the delay. Apparently my guy will hear something in the next month or so. I emailed the guys at huntershouse in Denmark, they say they have 22-250 and 375 Ruger barrels in stock immediately. I'd just have to get an import licence in NZ so they can get an export licence in Denmark. So that's another option for me.

Originally posted by jss

when i ordered that caliber 2 months ago directly from S/L I was told they did not expect to be able to deliver within half a year.

They had problems getting it precise I was told - and had to wait for proper tools ......

Svar

Forum spring:

Brugere der kigge i denne tråd: 1 gæst(er)