Tråd vurdering:
  • 0 stemme(r) - 0 gennemsnitligt
ballistic 300 win mag
Im the lucky ownerof a Blaser R93 proffesional, cal. 300 win mag, and i recently had the possibillity to experience a once in a lifetime shot to a large red stag, in the Carpatian mountains, border land between Ukraine, Poland and Hungary. The stag was taken at a distance of 510m +/-5m (Leica distance laser binocular)and, with 2 shots, i firstly aimed too low, whereas 2nd short went in the
lung region and the stag went 50-60meters before final.

Are anyone able to give me some feedback, as to best choice of bullet, mark and ballistic information when going over 300m distance (300 win mag), for large game, as stag, mountain goate. I did not find sufficient information by various bullet producers, nor ballistic information.

Best regards
300 win mag
Svar
Hi there,

I do not have much experience in this area, but would expect that a .300 WinMag at 500 m would work more or less the same as a .308 Win at 300 m - in terms of wound ballistics.

Because of the large distance a flat trajectory would be beneficial, thus a low bullet weight and a high ballistic coefficient. But even with a 10,9g bullet at 1000 m/s (GEE 199m) you would still have hold one meter over target and it would take some (a lot?) of practice to make a one-shot-kill with an energy of less than 2000 J.

Best regards,

osterwald
Svar
here we go again!!

rounds fired at long distance at paper targets is great fun .

rounds fired at (very)long distance on live game is bad hunting .
the risk of wonding a animal is far to great

another matter is that skills needed to get as close as 500 meter to a stag is none.
so in that way a good hunt/stalk is reduced to a shoting practice session
mvh

Strom
mvh
Strom, naturgænger
Svar
Jo - men alligevel!!!

Best solution to the problem: Buy an old M98 in cal. 8x57IS – get close – enjoy the smell and sound of the roaring stag – and the performance of a boosted “30-odd-6” launched from an over engineered piece of sh.t becomes insignificant!

Regards Thorlak

Sorry – could not let it be!
Correct first shot placement, the rest is bullshit!
Svar
300winmag...the boys went a little off topic, and some non-related answers are now deleted. The answers to come will be in english and concern your request.
Svar
You need to find a bullet, that stil expands well at speeds in the 600-700m/s range.

You also need to find an accurate bullet.

At 300 yards(270 meters) a 300 WinMag with 180 grs bullet performs like a 308win does at the muzzle with the same bullet weight.

At 500 yards(450 meters) it performs like a 30-30 does at the muzzle with a 170 grs. bullet.

The Sierra Game King bullet could be a fine choice, but I have only tried that bullet as a factory load from Sellier-Bellot in my 30-06.
They also have it in 300winmag.

I hope this gives you some ideas.

Glædelig Jagt fra Grønland

Jesper Rex

Jesper Rex
If you can't do it with a 30-06, it likely can't be done...(Men det ER nu kedeligt kun med en gøb....(skriver manden med 9+))
Svar
[Smile]Thank you indeed for Your comments and Your technical support.
I do agree with the risk factor and that such a shot on 500m is not to recommend. We must however not forget that mountain hunting, that is mountain goat as the Argali, Marco Polo, and others are usely taken in distances between 200m up to 400m. This is not because of bad stagging skils, but because such shy animals are found in the open areas in mountains and are not patient enough to allow a hunter to get close.

Having said so, then we must realize that shots at distances as above mentioned are more the rule in mountains than the exception !.
Following that it is vital for a hunter to get aknowlegded with the
rules at such distances, that is preferable ammunition, windeffects, energy, ballistic etc.

I thank for the advice as to choice of ammunition as well all other advices, comments.

300wingmag
Svar
Hi 300WinMag,

what scope did you use at 500 meters? I ask because I would like one day to shoot my 8x68S in the mountains [:p] and only have a general idea about the conditions.

osterwald
Svar
I would recommend Nosler ballistic tip in 180 grains. Great ballistic coefficient and it expands easily even at low velocities.

Labrador
Svar
upssss... [:I]

Sorry.... got carried away in the "hunting ethics" debate that started in danish....

If I was to use a 300WinMag at distances from 300m to 600m I would certainly chose a premium hunting bullet with as high a ballistic coeficient (BC) as at all possible, since this, combined with high muzzle velocity is the only way to reduce the negative influences from errors in discerning wind and holdover.

Bullets such as Swift Scirocco, Barnes Triple-X and Lost River Ballistics are the best choices based solely on the very high BC and effective terminal performance.

Swift Scirocco 180 grains: BC = 0.552
Barnes TXS 180 grains: BC = 0.552
LRBT J36 hunting 180: BC = 0.672

Hilsner
Dravis aka:FMJ
"Sapere Aude: Dare to KNOW!"
Hilsner
Dravis aka:FMJ
"Sapere Aude: Dare to KNOW!"
"Do not adjust your mind, there's a fault in reality"
"Når to deler et ansvar, så er der to procent til hver"
Svar
A friend tried the PERFECT scope on the PERFECT rifle for Long Distance Shooting.

Caliber was 300winmag

Rifle an Accuracy International AW (Mil Spec version)
Scope an undisclosed make, with built in laser rangefinder and ballistic computer.

Total package prise in excess of US$ 40000,- scope prise was maybe 2/3'rds of the price.

He only had to worry about wind, the computer took care of distance and angle.

Sme day, those scopes are going to be available to civilian users, at not to high prices (I hope)

Jesper Rex
E-mail: jrex@ofir.dk

Jesper Rex
If you can't do it with a 30-06, it likely can't be done...(Men det ER nu kedeligt kun med en gøb....(skriver manden med 9+))
Svar
Howdy, 300Winmag...

I would suggest a "soft" bullet, like Nosler's Ballistic tip or hornady's spirepoint... that should do the trick at long range...

fore obvious reasons a boattail spitzer is a must... the bullet range should be 180-200 grains...

[Image: skelet025.gif]

Wildcatters does have more fun...

An apple a day, keeps the Doctor away...
If you can strike me!

Dr. Strangelove

Wildcatters does have more fun...

Dr. Strangelove
Svar

Forum spring:

Brugere der kigge i denne tråd: 1 gæst(er)