Tråd vurdering:
  • 0 stemme(r) - 0 gennemsnitligt
Han måtte gerne lære mine unger sløjd :-)
Seaport volunteer carves out history
Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 06/14/06
BY HARTRIONO B. SASTROWARDOYO
STAFF WRITER

Fred Reitmeyer Jr., a resident of the Pomona section of Galloway Township, Atlantic County, was doing more than carving wood into Barnegat Bay-style decoys at Tuckerton Seaport one Wednesday. Reitmeyer also was helping to preserve a tradition he learned from his grandfather 50 years ago.

"It (carving decoys) is not so important today," said Reitmeyer, standing in front of a group of students from McKinley Avenue Elementary School, Stafford. But those students have little knowledge of the history and importance duck hunting has on the area, he said.

"There were no restaurants, but there was plenty of food," Reitmeyer said. "People had to hunt and fish for meat."

Reitmeyer is one of five demonstrators — three are decoy carvers like him, the other is a boat builder — who volunteer their time at the seaport, showing their craft and telling stories about life long ago on the Jersey Shore.

Reitmeyer said he got started carving when he was about 10 or 12 years old and went duck hunting with the family.

"We couldn't afford decoys, so we made our own," he said.

These days, Reitmeyer's decoys are more likely to be placed on a shelf than in the water by people who buy them. The decorative decoys have more detail in the carving and the painting. But he still makes functional decoys in the Barnegat Bay style.

"There are two halves, like a clam shell," Reitmeyer said, opening up an unfinished one. The halves are hollowed out not only to reduce weight, but also to make it float better and thus be more visible to ducks, he said.

The working decoy has a strip of lead, to be used as a counterweight and aid in righting the decoy should it flip over. There's also a leather strap to be used for securing an anchor, so the decoy doesn't float away.

Depending on the area, anywhere from 30 to 50 decoys would be used to lure ducks, Reitmeyer said.

"Ducks believe in safety in numbers," he said.

Reitmeyer has won awards in both the annual Ocean County Decoy and Gunning Show, held in Tuckerton, as well as the Ocean County Wildfowl Art and Decoy Show, also an annual event. Two sons and one daughter also carve on a regular basis, and he's giving lessons to his 8-year-old grandson.

Another grandson, 6 years old, is also eager to learn carving, but Reitmeyer is waiting until he's a little bit older to safely handle the tools.

"You hear about sons and daughters not learning to carve," Reitmeyer said. "I'm trying to keep it going."

.....nu OGSÅ ejer af en 243win :-)

Favourite Quote: Vi løser ikke vore problemer ved at tænke på samme måde, som da vi skabte dem.....(Albert Einstein)
.....ualmindelig velinformeret i forhold til min alder ... :-)

Favourite Quote: En humlebi ved ikke, at den ikke kan flyve......Gå ud på terrassen og vift med armene...hvis du letter må du være uvidende ;-)
Svar

Forum spring:

Brugere der kigge i denne tråd: 1 gæst(er)